This recipe is easy to do, doesn’t require a lot of ingredients or prep time and will fill your belly without breaking the bank.
- 4 whole-wheat Tortillas (large)
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 diced onion
- 4 tbsp of tomato (sauce, crushed, diced)
- 1/3 cup of water (if using crushed or tomato sauce)
- 1 19 oz (540 mL) can of beans
- Salt and Pepper
- Garam masala (or Curry powder)
- Chicken (100g fresh cut into thin strips or 1 10 oz can)
- Green onions
- Shredded cheese
To make the vegetable fajita filling:
1 – Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. When hot, add in the diced onion and cook for about 5 minutes or until translucent.
2 – Add in the sliced pepper. Stir often to evenly cook the pepper/onion mixture for about 5 minutes or until soft.
* Non-vegan option: Add in the chicken (fresh or canned) with the pepper.
3 – Add in the tomato (if using crushed or sauce, add 1/3 cup of water as well) , salt, pepper and garam masala and cook for another 5 minutes.
4 – Then add in the beans and cook for another 2 minutes.
To warm up the tortillas:
Heat the oven to 350F (180C) then place the tortillas in the oven for 5 minutes to warm them up.
6 – Assemble fajitas by topping tortillas with the filling. If you would like, you can sprinkle some cheese on top, add some green onions and spinach to make them greener. Bon appetit!