I love this recipe because it requires very little cooking. So it’s handy for these days when it’s too hot to cook but you’re craving something more satisfying than a salad.
- 1/2 cup of rice
- 4 tbsp of corn (canned)
- 4 tbsp of beans (canned, red, black. If you’re using dry beans, cook them in advanced.)
- 1 tomato, diced
- 2 tbsp of lemon juice (or 1 lemon/lime)
- 1/2 tsp of garam masala (or curry powder)
Feeling fancy, you can add the following:
- 1 handful of green (sprouts, lettuce, spinach or cabbage)
- 1 tsp of red onion, diced
- 2 tsp of yogurt or cream (canned or shelf-stable)
- Green onion, minced
- Flax seeds
- Chicken (canned or cooked)
01 – Add rice and 1 cup of water (with a pinch of salt) to a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat then lower the heat to a simmer. Cook the rice according to the cooking instructions on the package (usually 12-15 minutes).
02 – Dice the tomato.
03 – Once the rice is cooked, drain off any excess water if there is any.
04 – In a container, mix in the lemon juice with garam masala and stir well.
05- To assemble, divide the rice into bowls and top with diced tomato, corn, beans and any additional extras (including the chicken).
06 – Drizzle with the lemon/garam masala dressing.